So as some of you may remember we went in for a NT Scan (the long video) which is basically an ultrasound to measure the fluid in the baby's neck and blood work to check for Down's Syndrome, Spina Bifida and things of that nature. We were told at the time that everything looked fine and that they would schedule another standard blood test in four weeks for further testing. Well yesterday I see that I have a message so I call back and they tell me that one of the results gave us a higher chance then expected for our baby to have Down's. She mentioned that they wanted us to come in for genetic counseling and a more detailed ultrasound and that they had an opening the next day at 9:30. I think Sam could tell something wasn't quite right the minute she walked back in our office and was very understanding (THANK YOU SO MUCH BTW!!) and after talking to Roddy we planned for our surprise appt.
Roddy and I had already talked about the possibilities of having a special needs baby and decided it didn't matter, that is still our child and we would never be given more than we could handle so we went in with high hopes. Now our actual chance of our baby having Down's was 1 in 70 which breaks down to 1.4%, very small but relatively high for someone my age. They told us they were going to be looking for "soft markers" which include smaller thigh and arm bones, heart defects and fluid around the kidneys to mention a few. Well, the Dr. saw absolutely nothing to cause any concern but wants us to come back in a month for another detailed sonogram. We were also offered an amniocentisis to find out with 99.9% accuracy but that it also came with it's own risks, such as miscarriage. Knowing that we were going to have our baby no matter what we opted to pass on the amnio, we figured why bother, knowing isn't going to change a thing. So for now we are pretty sure our little monkey is perfectly fine and would appreciate any prayers anyone would like to pass along our way to help ensure Baby Neff is healthy.
Oh, and by the way the Dr. did tell us what he thinks the gender is...but I have decided not to say anything until we get another opportunity to find out on Thursday for sure!!! So make sure you stay tuned. =)
11.18.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Leah. Even if the tests did show chances of birth defects or syndromes, they have been knwon to be wrong. I have seen this with close friends. Prayers sent your way for better results to ease your minds. And can't wait to find out what you guys are having when you reveal!
All our prayers coming your way little Monkey...but I know you are just perfect in there!!! And yes, False Negatives are VERY VERY common in all of these test.
:)~ And I'm pretty sure my prediction is STILL right...but I can't wait to find out that I AM RIGHT tomorrow!!!
XOXO - M
I am saying special prayers for your precious little baby and you.
Barbara (Brandon's Mom and Brody's Nana)
Leah,
I can only imagine how stressful that call must have been. I am glad that the doctor did not see anything that caused concern. Thoughts and prayers coming your way for a healthy Baby Neff.
I am anxiously awaiting the big reveal. Hope Thursday's appointment will overshine the stress of the surprise one.
Hey sweetie, I'm so glad that all turned out well and also so excited about the news I received from Mandy this afternoon...I wont ruin the surprise but I can't wait to start shopping.
Now I need a name so I can get my embroidering ideas in...wink wink!
Love you guys,
Sam
Yay, I can't wait to hear what you are having....and you haven't posted it yet.=( I agree with all of the above, VERY VERY common to be wrong. I just had a friend have a perfectly healthy baby in August after her tests came back that her baby had the worst possible form of down syndrome and wouldn't live past 5 days old. He is now almost 4 months old and perfectly healthy. My whole family will be sending thoughts and prayers your way. Love you!!
Post a Comment