Yesterday we went in for another, and what we thought would be our final, appt. with the specialist that we had gone to for the Down's testing. We both fully expected everything to be fine but to our shock it is not.
Laiken has a heart defect that is going to require surgery and lifetime care with a cardiologist. Basically, the four chambers of her heart are not all closing like they are supposed to so the oxygen-rich blood and the oxygen-poor (because it has already gone through the body) blood are not staying separate like they normally would, instead they are mixing which will not give her enough oxygen to grow and thrive like she should. They will have to put patches in to create the four chambers. We are not quite sure all the details at the moment, we should receive a call sometime today from the pediatric cardiologist at Cook Childrens to schedule a consult. Once we know more about what we are facing I will let everyone know but until then please keep our baby girl in your prayers.
Also, because half of all babies with Down's have heart defects as well, this puts her at more of a 50% chance of having Down's instead of the original 1.4%. Our specialist checked again for any soft markers and still sees nothing else of concern. We are still choosing not to do an amnio at this time and will not unless it will help the doctor's to be better prepared upon her arrival, either way I don't want to know the results. We were told that I would be induced early in order for her to be born into a more controlled environment, with a "team" standing by for her. This is what we know for now, I will keep updating as we know more. If anyone has any experience with things of this nature that you may want to share but don't really want to post as a comment my personal email is lem1146@yahoo.com.
12.16.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




10 comments:
You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers. Baby Laiken is going to thrive and be perfect I just know it! Have faith Leah, you are in God's hands.
Love you,
LeAnn
You, Roddy, and Laiken are definitely in every prayer we say. You guys are tough and hold a strong bond, there is nothing that you cannot handle as a family. And if little Laiken is anything like her momma, she is going to be one tough cookie!! I love you and if there is anything, to talk, food, company, a ride...anything that you need, please let me know. I am only a phone call away. =)
Hey girl...I just wanted you to know that you and your sweet girl will be in our prayers. I know you are going through a lot of things in your head right now...if you need anything, let me know.
Big hugs...Kimber
Leah,
I am so sorry to hear that Laiken has a heart condition. I cannot imagine how frightening that was to hear. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on the pediatric cardiologist appointment.
Leah and Roddy~
I am so saddened to hear of Laiken's condition, but I am relieved to know you're already in contact with the pedi cardiologists. Let me know when you hear from them, and I'll meet you guys for lunch or a quick hug, or just whatever you may want or need.
The PICU here is split into non-cardiac and cardiac patients, so I work for all of the cardiologists here, as well as the regular ICU docs. I will be in the loop at almost every turn, so let me know if I can do anything to help you guys deal with the hospital aspect of it all. You know I've got the friendship part down pat!
I love you three so very much, and I am here for you in any and every way. Please don't hestitate to lean on me.
All my love,
Aunt Vanessa
I've been sitting here all day thinking about you, Roddy and Laiken Reese...words cannot express how I feel for you guys right now. My heart shattered into about a thousand pieces this morning when you told me and Sam about Miss Laiken. You all are definitely at the top of our prayer list as you have been for a while. I know when you ventured into Motherhood this was not something that really entered into your mind...but you know God hand picks Mommy's like you...he knows that you will be able to give your baby girl just what she needs. You know Laiken holds a very special place in my heart as do you. We can get through this...don't be afraid to lean on me or any of us...we are Family...and that is what Family does. I love you all!!!
Always - Mandy aka...Auntie M
Thinking and Praying of you guys like crazy...Please know that I'm here for you in any and every way that I can be. God has a strange way in making everything turn out ok, and I have nothing but faith that his eyes and hands are upon you and little Miss Laiken. You are one of the strongest women I know and with the support team you have backing you up, there is nothing that can't be conquered through faith, hope, and love.
Always, Auntie Sam
I just wanted to let you know that we are keeping you, Roddy and Miss Laiken close in our thoughts and prayers. Try to keep your chin up high and let God do all the work! We love y'all!
The Baggett's
We just wanted to say that You, Roddy, and Baby Laiken are in our hearts and prayers everyday.
In His Hands,
The Shank's
Oh Leah, I am sorry you guys are being put through all of this right now but am glad they are catching it early. You guys will be in my prayers!
Post a Comment