10.23.2008

Pucker Up!!




Wow, we are already in our second trimester...I wasn't sure exactly when it started since it is different depending on where you look but I am going to stick with week 14. =) I am still feeling good, my energy disappears fast still but that's okay. I still haven't gained any weight and my regular jeans still fit...for now.

Your baby's body systems are starting to work on their own. The digestive system practices moving food along the intestines and through the renal system and he can create and eliminate urine. He also continues to practice breathing the amniotic fluid in and out of his lungs. Your baby has tiny, soft nails on his fingers and toes, is growing hair and may even suck his thumb. Your baby is approximately 10-11.5 cm (3 1/2 -4 inches) and weighs approximately 1.5 ounces.

Also, your baby's blood is beginning to form in the bone marrow and blood vessels are beginning to connect various parts of the fetus to another. The joints and muscles allow your baby full body movement so your baby is able to move around. The baby's neck is getting longer and his chin is no longer resting on his chest. The eyes and ears continue to move into place. The hands are becoming functional and reflex movements often occur. Nourishment now comes from the placenta. Remember, some of what you eat and drink is getting through to your baby. The doctor can tell if your baby is a boy or a girl using special tests.

Amniotic fluid is an amazing substance. It completely regenerates itself every three hours. We do know that it is partially composed of urine from the baby, but where amniotic fluid in general is made we are not sure. Modern medicine still has some surprises left.


4 comments:

Ashley said...

The second trimester... WOOHOO!!

Glad you are feeling well. Enjoy those regular jeans while you can! By 14 weeks, I was already up several pounds and not feeling so comfortable in my regular jeans :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are already 14 weeks! Time is just flying by! I hope you continue to feel well!

Love,
Stacy

Aunt Tesa said...

Thank you so much for providing us with this Site. It's exciting to follow Baby Neff's progress. I cry happy tears each time I view the scan from October 14. (the info about the amniotic fluid is interesting.) Mija, I'm so happy to know that you're feeling well; and I'm sure you're even more beautiful since the last time I saw you. Roddy, how are you doing? I'd really like to know sobrino mio.
Lots of love,
Aunt Tesa and Uncle Darryl

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mommy, I think you are getting a little behind. I am almost 16 weeks now and you still got me looking like a lemon. I think Daddy wants an update! =)